Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Product Review: My First UNO (Works for Me Wednesday)


RocksinMyDryer has set a theme for Works-for-Me Wednesday---Toys Worth Buying.

I don't have kids, so I'm not an expert at all. Up until recently, however, I was spending a couple of hours each afternoon with the daughter of a close friend. E is 4 1/2 years old and probably a teensy bit delayed (her older brother is superbright, so he probably stole all the smart molecules. Don't mean any offense by this, just trying to describe accurately). I picked her up after Montessori school (an option her mother chose instead of preschool which has been great) and we spent two hours of "fun time" which I tried to make as educational as possible. We went for walks and looked for things that started with certain sounds, I made her picture + words shopping lists to help me get groceries, etc.

Ok back on topic. My mother bought a card game that she thought we'd enjoy, and it turned out to be E's absolute favorite thing. It was My First UNO, with Angelina Ballerina characters on the cards. It is an UNO game for kids 3+.
When we first started playing it E would get confused sometimes, and would maybe play two or three games before wanting to do something else. After about a week of this, she had the game figured out to where she could explain the rules to a new player, and on at least one occasion we played for over an hour straight, game after game after game! It has helped her work on matching and numbers, and especially to focus herself on one activity (instead of A-D-D-ing around the house for two hours.)
If you are looking for a "toy" that involves your participation (or for more than one child), I highly recommend this game. An amazon search shows that it comes in lots of different themes/characters so you can match the style with your child's personality.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

(L. please contact me, you Won the Give Away)

FRIZZ said...

Thanks for your comment. I'll have to keep this game in mind for my niece!

M.E. Greene said...

I just wanted to swing by and say thank you for taking the time to visit my blog today and for leaving a comment for the Sew Mama Sew giveaway. I hope the rest of your week is lovely!

Beneath the Eaves said...

I wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog. I finally have a few minutes now that I have my new car home to be online.
Love the blog. My kids are on the other end. We are looking for college. They loved Uno. Don't think they had "My first Uno", but they enjoyed the regular version.