Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Play by Play of Home Improvement-3:30 pm

3:30 pm: The deck is done. They were all packed up and mostly gone by 3:30. The contractor stayed to chat. I asked for an itemized receipt. He says oh my, you're making it difficult. I said I was trying. He explains that if he itemizes it out, it will cost more; now it's my turn to give HIM the stink-eye. Here's the breakdown:
a day's labor runs $840. of course, if we don't want it itemized on a receipt, he can give us a little break. He could save us some money if we were going to just pay cash, no receipts.
the total with the two doors is about $3200. Except that only one door is installed, and we don't want the other door. Discussion ensued about who was going to eat the door. clearly this is a meal that no one wants to eat. I asked what we were going to do with the door; currently it is in our garage. He said we would leave it there until he knows who's going to eat it. I can't help but feel this makes it easier for the door to be eaten by ME. He said he quoted us "about $1280 for the door", but the door could be sold for $2300 when you added all the taxes etc on.
Umm...does he mean to imply that I am to sell the door? Because the answer is no.
I asked whether I am supposed to call someone about the door, and he said no, he would do that. He said the salesman that he bought it from wasn't there, but hopefully they'd buy it back and "you'd lose 10, 20 per cent on that, mumble mumble"---so I'm subject to that infamous re-stocking fee, am I? Despite the fact that this is not the door I wanted or asked for? He'd hear back from the sale guy soon. I stink-eye-nodded.
He said it was fine if it took us 3-4 months to pay, it was no big deal. I said no, we'd prefer to pay him for the work and the door that we ordered. I said that J-sun had the checkbook and the contractor said we'd wait a day to hear back from the sales guy. I said ok, we'd hear from him tomorrow. He left.

Seriously? I've done so much bitching this year. Between propane, wood pellets, and pellet stove installation, I have definitely put in my share of guts. Now I'll do it again, I guess. I have to process my thoughts on all of this.

No comments: